Maliyo Games is looking for a talented and passionate art director who can lead a team of video game artists and technical experts and coordinate resources to develop unique, creative, and interesting games for mobile devices.
The art director is responsible for managing the visual design of a game. This includes overseeing the design and creating concept art, character designs, and other visual elements. The art director will establish and maintain the game’s art concept and design. Their role is to ensure that the rest of the art team is working towards the same goal. The ideal candidate will keep the game artists on track by empowering them and providing guidance.
The art director must be able to conceptualize designs for games and then translate those designs into 3D models and 2D images that can be used in game development. The art director must be creative when approaching new projects to ensure that they are unique and interesting. They will also collaborate with programmers and other designers to ensure that all game elements are designed according to their goals.
Position: Art Director
Location: 100% Remote
Compensation: Negotiable (subject to experience)
Maliyo is a Lagos-based game development studio that creates African-inspired games for mobile users with over 40 games in our portfolio. Maliyo infuses the continent’s lively culture and experiences into everything we create. Our goal is to embed Africa’s vibrant culture into video games through storylines, character development, immersive environments, captivating sounds, and strong visuals.
- Define the project’s look, its distinct art style, and critical visual differentiation.
- Work with the team to define and execute art direction for all game content, including character design and world-building
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering teams to create and implement art assets into the game experience
- Oversee the design and layout of the game’s UI and graphics, as well as create concept art, character designs, and other visual elements
- Iterate on the full project plan, informing timelines and deliverables through key artistic milestones
- Work closely with all internal and external stakeholders to understand and fulfill the needs of gameplay
- Work hand in hand with a team of level designers, artists, and builders to develop levels from prototype to completion
- Develop milestones for the art team through clear direction and sustainable scoping
- Ensure that all assets are consistent with the art style of the game
- Conceptualize designs for games and then translate those designs into 3D models and 2D images that can be used in game development
- Define the art team structure, identifying roles and responsibilities for sub-disciplines, including animation, concept art, character, environment, and technical art
- Responsible for ensuring that the art assets of our games are consistent, polished, and high-quality
- Collaborate with programmers and other designers to ensure that all elements of the game are designed in accordance with their goals
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with team members, production, and management to ensure that project goals are defined and met on time
- Create and maintain a world-class team of artists, guiding them toward incredible performance and purposeful growth
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts or graphic design
- Minimum 2 years experience in a high-level position as an art director
- You don’t need to have gaming experience, but experience in animation or film is a plus
- Should have team management and production experience
- Solid knowledge of the gaming industry
- Must be creative when approaching new projects to ensure that they are unique and interesting
- Should have great artistic skills, an eye for detail, and a strong understanding of 3D modeling software such as Maya or ZBrush.
- Must also have experience working in a team setting and be able to communicate effectively with the rest of the development team
- Able to work on their own as well as collaborate with other team members
- Superb analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration abilities
- Demonstrated flexibility and the ability to work with cross-functional teams in-person and remotely
- When applying, you must share your portfolio.
To apply, send your most recent portfolio and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Art Director Application“